Julia Mezhinsky Jayne
Julia Mezhinsky Jayne is the founder of Jayne Law Group, P.C.
Ms. Jayne is an experienced and accomplished trial lawyer who concentrates her practice on both white collar and general criminal defense in felony and misdemeanor cases. She has over twenty years of experience in complex criminal matters in federal and state courts. Ms. Jayne has over 40 jury trials under her belt.
Ms. Jayne represents a broad array of individuals and companies in state and federal court, at the investigative, pre-trial, and trial stages. Her successes range from outright case dismissals to extremely favorable plea agreements to acquittals. Ms. Jayne is committed to making sure each client is satisfied with the result of his/her case. She has handled numerous newsworthy and high-profile cases.
Her white-collar criminal defense matters include prosecutions involving mail and wire fraud violations, bribery and kickbacks, securities fraud (insider trading), bank fraud, environmental crimes, money laundering, alien harboring, money smuggling, antitrust, immigration crimes, false statements, identity theft, criminal contempt, tax evasion, extradition matters and prosecutions with significant asset forfeiture implications.
Ms. Jayne’s experience in general criminal defense runs the gamut — from violent felonies and vehicular manslaughter to drug possession and sales, sexual assault, firearms offenses, juvenile offenses, theft and fraud cases, robbery, burglary, and driving under the influence.
Before founding Campbell & Jayne LLP with Gail A. Campbell, Ms. Jayne served as a Deputy District Attorney in Contra Costa County. There, she tried a variety of misdemeanor, felony, and juvenile cases. In her role as a prosecutor, she filed criminal charges, negotiated thousands of cases, and independently tried countless cases. After leaving the District Attorney’s Office, Ms. Jayne worked as a civil litigator at Larson · King in San Francisco. Thereafter, Ms. Jayne worked as a white collar criminal defense attorney and civil litigator at Sideman & Bancroft LLP, where she was involved in the representation of several high-profile white collar criminal defense clients. Ms. Jayne also served as a legal intern to the Organized Crime Strike Force for the Department of Justice, U.S. Attorneys’ Office in San Francisco.
Ms. Jayne has been named to the Northern California Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in Northern California for 2010 – 2021. Ms. Jayne is consistently recognized as the “Three Best Rated” criminal defense attorneys in San Francisco and in the top 10 attorneys by Expertise.com. She has also been rated as one of the “Top Women Attorneys” in Northern California by San Francisco Magazine.
Ms. Jayne has taught trial advocacy as an adjunct professor at U.C. Hastings College of the Law since 2003. She has served for many years on the Criminal Justice Act Panel in the Northern District of California. She is the Programs Chair for the Women in White Collar Defense Association, San Francisco chapter. She is a frequent speaker and author on white collar criminal defense matters.
Ms. Jayne is also fluent in Russian.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1999
- Oxford University Faculty of Law, Oxford
- Spring Semester - 1998
- University of California, Los Angeles, California
- B.A. - 1995
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Selected as a Super Lawyer in Northern California Super Lawyers® - 2015-2021
- Selected as a Rising Star in Northern California Super Lawyers® - 2009-2014
Classes & Seminars
- Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy, University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 2003 to Present
- Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office, Deputy D.A.
- Sideman & Bancroft LLP, White Collar Criminal Defense Attorney and Civil Litigator
- Larson · King, San Francisco, Civil Litigator
- Campbell & Jayne LLP, Partner
- Organized Crime Strike Force for the Department of Justice, U.S. Attorneys' Office in San Francisco, Legal Intern
- Small Business Compliance & Internal Investigations
- Criminal Justice Act Panel ("CJA Panel") for the Northern District of California, Member, 2005 to Present
- California State Bar Criminal Law Executive Committee, Past Chair and Advisor
- Eastern European Bar Association, Northern California, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers: Member of Diversity, Women, and White Collar Committees; and Regional West Coast Delegate of Membership Committee
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association: Program Chair (San Francisco chapter); global social media committee; member